Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Listen to yourself

Those that follow me on Twitter or Facebook know that for quite a while now I have been dealing with migraines. My first one was in June of last year. I went to the doctor the next day because I had never experienced such pain. I started a new birth control, the Nuva Ring in May and had a check up sometime early July to discuss how it was going and if I had experienced any side effects. I told the Doctor (obgyn) about the migraine and the constant headaches, but he assured me it would have happened sooner if it were linked to the Nuva Ring. Over the next 9 months the migraines would become more frequent and I would have many tests done to see exactly why the migraines were always in the same spot. In March I had 2-3 a week with the final one lasting 4 days. I took every medicine I was prescribed and nothing would knock that migraine. It would go away for a little, but the pressure was still there, and I honestly didn't know how I would live my life with such constant headaches. It was very frustrating because I just wanted to know why I was getting them and even keeping a food & headache journal provided no insight on pattern.

After the 4-day migraine I had the mentality that "I don't care what you say (Neurologist, OBGYN, or Family Doctor!) it has GOT to be the birth control!" so I stopped taking it. I had a one withdrawal migraine and haven't had even the slightest headache since. I've gone headache free for a little over a month and it.is.glorious.

Now, this could all be a big coincidence and I could get more migraines in the future, but for now I'm just thankful that I decided to take action against something and for now it as worked. I've had issues with every sort of birth control I've ever taken (mostly just break through bleeding) so at this point, we're just being careful :)

(p.s. I really enjoyed the Nuva Ring, besides the whole idratherdiemigraines. Medicine effects everyone differently, i'm not saying they should ban the Nuva Ring, it just didn't work for me.)

13 comments:

ae said...

I am glad you figured out what was causing the pain. I have had chronic migraines my entire life and we have never figured out what caused them. Hopefully, the medicine was the problem and you will not have anymore migraines!!

Lindsey said...

I've missed you!!! Glad you're back and I'm so glad your migraines went away! You poor thing, that must have been horrid!

Lucky in Love said...

This is great advice...listening to yourself and trusting your instincts. So glad you are feeling better!!

Windy City Kelley's said...

Way to take control. I'm glad you're feeling a lot better too!

Michele said...

I'm so glad you figured out what was causing your migraines. I get them too...and am on so many meds for them...including the shot. I don't get them as often as you did, but boy, when I do, they're humdingers!

Hugz...missed you!

Michele

brooke said...

b/c has NEVER ever worked for me...it has altered my body or mood to an extent that i just could not deal with it...i've been birth control free for the last 5 years and have not gotten pregnant b/c we have been very careful too! and i don't even see myself going back!

glad you got them to go away!!

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

You know what? You're not the first one telling this. I've heard this before and I'm glad you've mentioned it again. So sorry you had to deal with migraines lasting this insanely long. And I'm sorry no doctor could help either. I hate when this happens. Glad you took action and tried something and it worked. Trust me, it's what we all have to do. Love this post, and missed reading your blog!!! :D

Unknown said...

Birth control does wonky things to us girls...I guess that's what happens when we mess with our hormones, huh?

I, too, suffered from migraines. Mine were bad, but not 4-day long bad spells like you were dealing with. I was on the pill at the time and my family doctor (whom I adore) explained that the timing of my migraines coincided with Aunt Flo's monthly visit. Estrogen & serotonin (did I spell that wrong?) go hand-in-hand and when they dip...the migraine comes! He put me on antidepressants to keep my happy hormones in check and that worked. The antidepressants, however, didn't set well with me. I wasn't sleeping. Ick.

Anyways, I switch BC and got the Mirena IUD and, lo & behold, no more migraines. Of course, Aunt Flo disappeared all together, too.

This totally has NOTHING to do with your story, but I figured I would share since we both had an issue with headaches and birth control.

I'm so glad you stood firm and listened to your gut. And, I'm glad your head is feeling better.

OH...and I really like the pics you did for Lis & JD!! :)

Wearing Mascara said...

Such great advice. It's always good to listen to your body. I was on NuvaRing for a looooong time. Maybe 6 years? Anyways, recently (as in a few months ago), I realized how moody and emotional I was during my periods. Like, much more so than typical. I figured it was my bc because, what else could it be? I got off of it, switched and I feel so much better! The NuvaRing worked for me for a long time... but not forever. Great post!

Sherrie said...

Glad you are feeling better. My friend had horrible migraines and she ended up finally seeing a chiropractor who also specializes in nutrition. She found out she had to much candida in her digestive system. She went on a very restrictive diet for a while to get rid of the yeast and she is migraine free now!

Random Musings said...

Ive gotten migraines my whole life the only birth control (trust me when I say I have tried them all) is ortho trycylin...

I would not wish migraines on my worst enemy...

sanjeet said...

Hopefully, the medicine was the problem and you will not have anymore migraines!!
PPC Advertising India

Unknown said...

Yep, it was the Nuvaring. I was on two different brands of birth control that gave me migraines. The latest one started making my hair fall out/thin. The sad part is, the doctors refuse to admit that the BC is the cause.

I think for many people only one or two brands work for them with little to no side effects while all the other ones mess them up. It's a pain figuring out the right one though.